As a homeowner, there are many different issues you are going to encounter. One of these is having mold in your house, which can be really annoying and terrifying. Molds are toxic,not only can they damage your house, they also have an immense impact on your health and well-being. If you suspect your house has mold, you need to investigate more and look for these key signs or indications of mold growth.
Musty, Moldy Odor
One of the things you will notice when there’s mold in your house is a pungent, musty odor. If you have been smelling this moldy odor for some time now, there’s a high chance mold is growing in your house. Because molds thrive in dark and moist areas, you should first check your basement for any presence of mold. Nonetheless, you should check all parts of your home thoroughly, including your furniture and household devices.
You may suffer allergy symptoms for many reasons, but sometimes mold is the culprit. If you feel better when you’re outside but feel allergy symptoms when you get home, the cause is likely inside your property. Some of the most common allergy symptoms you will feel when there’s toxic mold in your house are chronic cough and skin rashes. These can cause respiratory problems so if you want to avoid them and eliminate the symptoms, you should check your house for mold immediately. If you spot mold in any part of your house, don’t panic but think of effective ways to get rid of them completely.
Signs of Condensation
Condensation is another sign that there are molds in your house. If there’s a lot of moisture in your house, condensation occurs. Remember that molds love moisture and as long as there is a high level of condensation in your property, they are going to stay there and grow. It is best to check your glass window surfaces and metal pipes since molds often thrive in those areas. Even if you don’t detect mold in your property, you should always make sure to control condensation in your entire house to prevent mold growth in the future.
Indications of Water Issues
Water problems are also inevitable and can cause moisture problems. Water leakage, an overflowed toilet, backed-up sewage, and other water issues make your house susceptible to molds. To detect molds caused by water problems, you should check the places in your house where water remains for a long time such as your bathroom and kitchen.
Molds can hide anywhere, making it hard for you to detect them. However, molds usually hide underneath the flooring and behind walls so if you see discoloration in your walls, it can be an indication of mold growth. Though the discoloration may be caused by other factors, it is still best to check them for molds. You can ask for a professional to help you detect molds and get rid of them if they are hiding behind your walls.
Molds can be toxic and if you want them to be handled properly, you can ask an expert to eliminate them. However, if you have enough time and want to save some money, you can kill molds yourself. You can use natural disinfectants to get rid of molds such as hydrogen peroxide, white vinegar, tea tree oil, and grapefruit seed extract. If you want to prevent mold in the future or stop their growth, you can use dehumidifiers to control the level of humidity in your home.
Mold can cause serious health and home maintenance problems if not treated on time. If you have any of the signs mentioned above, you should start your DIY mold remediation process or seek a professional mold inspection service right away. Ignoring the warning signs will not only prolong your problems, but make them difficult to solve. Nothing is more important than your health. Prevent mold related issues today!